The winter holidays are a joyous time when we surround ourselves with family, friends and create a lifetime of memories. But for women who live with painful uterine fibroids every day, enjoying themselves might seem impossible—especially with stressing about the holidays right around the corner. At Fibroid Institute Dallas, we know how hard it is to live with fibroids, and we can help. Think about treating yourself to the winter holidays without fibroids.
Yes, a holiday season without uterine fibroids is possible. We treat women every day who are searching for a fibroid-free life without the life-altering consequences. As a result, we typically see an influx of patients this time of year. After a consultation, many women realize they can have fibroid treatment to remove their symptoms and recover in time for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s.
Imagine A Holiday Season Without These Painful Fibroid Symptoms
- Heavy periods
- Pelvic pain or pressure
- Back or leg pain
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Weight gain
- Difficulty urinating or urinary frequency
- Bloating and swelling
Researchers estimate that 70-80 percent of all women develop uterine fibroids between the ages of 35 and 54. These non-cancerous tumors develop from your uterus’ muscle tissue and tend not to stay the same size. They also multiply. This is why fibroid treatment is so important.
Many women do not realize medical advances for uterine fibroid treatment have come a long way. They may have only heard of invasive surgeries such as hysterectomy and myomectomy and imagine a longer recovery. So, they wait, believing that it is better to suffer in silence. They try to manage their existing symptoms between gift-giving and parties rather than being sore from surgery and potentially bed-ridden while family is in town.
Three decades ago, hysterectomy used to be the best answer for complete uterine fibroid removal. However, it is no longer the only solution. With minimally-invasive options, it is completely safe—and easy—to undergo a procedure now. At Fibroid Institute Dallas we are dedicated to treating fibroids using Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE), the gold standard in non-surgical fibroid treatment.
Plan Ahead to Be Fibroid Free for The Holidays
The key to treating yourself to a holiday without uterine fibroids is to plan ahead and act now. While the UFE procedure only takes about an hour and offers a quicker recovery time than surgery (7 days for most patients), not everyone qualifies. There are a few simple steps you must take to ensure UFE is right for you, and the timing of the procedure works out for your upcoming holiday schedule.
1) Consultation — You will need a formal consultation before scheduling your procedure. Doing so allows us to learn more about your specific situation and symptoms to deliver the best care possible. Telehealth consults and/or an in-office appointment are available. In fact, schedule a consult appointment now.
2) MRI — If we determine after this initial consultation that you are likely a good candidate for the procedure, we will order your pelvic MRI. This imaging process will assess in more detail the appearance, location, size, and vascularity of your fibroids and whether UFE is right for you.
3) Procedure —UFE is a low-risk alternative to surgery. It offers quicker recovery time because of its ability to shrink fibroids rather than using invasive methods to remove them. X-ray guidance locates the vessels that supply blood to your fibroids. Small particles are then injected into the vessels, blocking the blood flow to the uterine fibroids and causing them to shrink. The best part is that this procedure is 90% effective in reducing symptoms. Just a few additional advantages of UFE include:
- No hospital stay
- No scarring
- Shorter recovery period, 7 days in most cases
- Dramatic reduction in fibroid symptoms
4) Rest period — As we mentioned earlier, it usually takes 7 days to recover. In some patients, it can take 5 days and others 10 days. If you want to be ready for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s, you need to plan to have this procedure soon.
Take Advantage of This Year’s Insurance Benefits
As you are likely aware, most health insurance deductibles reset at the beginning of every calendar year. A deductible is the amount of money you are responsible for paying out of pocket. After you meet your deductible, your insurance company will start paying for healthcare bills associated with various surgeries, procedures, or general doctor visits. As it gets closer to the end of the year, you may be in a position where you have met or almost satisfied your deductible. If that is the case, now is a great time to schedule consultations, tests, and even procedures like UFE.
Starting to plan your fibroid treatment with UFE now allows you to save money while also setting you up for your best life in the New Year.
Another option when it comes to maximizing your insurance benefits for critical procedures is utilizing your health savings account (HSA). An HSA is a tax-favored savings account to help pay for medical expenses. Contributions are 100% deductible. Unlike flexible spending accounts (FSA), the money that you don’t use isn’t forfeited at the end of the year. It continues to grow. And if you have not needed it yet, it could be a nice amount of money to get you feeling better as you finally treat yourself to the holidays without fibroids.
Schedule Your Consultation with Dr. Suzanne Slonim
Do you have questions about your uterine fibroid symptoms or risk for fibroids, including fibroid removal and what your options are? Are you starting to think about treating yourself to the holidays without fibroids? Now is the time to act. At Fibroid Institute Dallas, we are dedicated to treating uterine fibroids and helping you start the new year pain-free.
A 2020 Women in Business Award recipient, Dr. Suzanne Slonim is also voted Best Doctor in D Magazine and listed in 2020 Super Doctors by Texas Monthly. She is the North Texas leader in UFE fibroid treatment without surgery. She founded the Fibroid Institute Dallas and the Fibroid Free movement to relieve women of painful fibroid symptoms.
To learn more about the revolutionary, non-surgical, fibroid treatment, Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE), call 214-838-6440 or complete the form below. You will need a formal consultation before scheduling your procedure. Telehealth consults and/or an in-office appointments are available.
Fibroid Institute Dallas serves the DFW area including Garland, Mesquite, Richardson, Addison, Carrollton, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Dallas, Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Cockrell Hill, Highland Park, University Park, Park Cities, Grand Prairie, Arlington, HEB, Fort Worth, Hutchins, Irving, and all of North Texas.
This information is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Prior to starting any new treatment or questions regarding a medical condition, always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified health provider.