Meet Dr. Fischer
Uterine Fibroid Embolization Pioneer, Educator, Healer
Dr. John Fischer has earned the respect and trust of patients and physicians in the South Texas area as an acclaimed Houston fibroid specialist. Having served as a primary investigator for the FDA, he is proud of the groundbreaking work done to introduce and evaluate new technologies for fibroid treatment and bring uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) to the mainstream. He is dedicated to educating women about non-surgical fibroid treatment and helping them become fibroid free. He always prioritizes patient safety and satisfaction.
About John Fischer, MD
A Recognized Expert
Dr. Fischer is a board-certified radiologist with a certificate of added qualification (CAQ) in interventional radiology. Based on his years in practice, he is the most experienced UFE specialist in Houston.
- Performed over 3,500 UFE procedures since 2000, including one of the first UFEs in Houston.
- For over 20 years, helped train dozens of interventional radiology (IR) fellows, teaching UFE and other complex IR procedures.
- Authored 13 publications, invited to speak/lecture at over 25 international and national events on UFE and other radiology topics.
- Principal investigator for one of 10 locations, and the first in the US, charged by the FDA to evaluate the safety of new technologies for fibroid treatment. Also helped establish many of the early treatment protocols.
- Associate Professor of Radiology at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Chief Resident in Diagnostic Radiology at University of Washington.
- Recipient of Nycomed Amersham SCVIR Fellow Award.
- Member of multiple medical societies and serves in leadership roles on committees and boards for hospitals, practices, and organizations.
About John Fischer, MD
Education and Experience
A third generation Houstonian, Dr. Fischer returned to the city after graduating from UT Austin with high honors. He attended Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, returning home again after completing his diagnostic radiology residency at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he served as chief resident. He completed his training with an interventional radiology fellowship at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Since 2000, Dr. Fischer’s noteworthy career includes private practice and associate professor of radiology at the Baylor College of Medicine. He also served as a principal investigator in UFE trials and studies, making him a true pioneer in UFE techniques. He joined Fibroid Institute Houston in 2022, bringing years of experience, knowledge, skill, and collaborative relationships within the Houston medical community.
Dr. Fischer greatly appreciates the patient centered focus at Fibroid Institute Houston. Nothing is more important to him than doing what is best for the patient. He utilizes the latest UFE techniques, including proprietary pain control protocols, and tailors them to each individual patient.
A self-claimed perfectionist, Dr. Fischer also credits his father’s influence for his work ethic, discipline, and dedication. It is evident that he is dedicated to providing patients with the best possible care. He has maintained a personal, practical, “down to earth” and often witty approach to his practice of medicine. He loves to share stories, smiles and laughter with his patients and staff as he believes this is a great place to begin the healing process.
When not helping patients, Dr. Fischer devotes most of his time to his wife, Lisa, and their four children. He also enjoys most everything sports, cooking and traveling.